Wednesday 28 May 2014

So what is this Food Hourglass Book really about?

It turns out that Kris Verburgh would like me to have a long and healthy life. He's not so bothered about whether or not I lose weight. There are some women who would gladly trade a portion of their precious lives to be a size 8 but I'm not one of them. A long and healthy life sounds fine to me. The book's introduction suggests that excess sugar plays an important role in making sure we get wrinkly on the outside and that our arteries stiffen up and cause us problems in later, ( and sometimes not too later) life. It seems that high protein diets may be a no-no too, (goodbye Atkins). If I read and follow the book's advice I could significantly reduce my risk of this impressive list of  diseases: Heart disease, osteoporosis, dementia, type 2 diabetes, cancer, deterioration of eyesight and hearing, high blood pressure and....it will help me lose weight as a side effect. It sounds too good to be true. The food I will have to eat will probably be so awful I will begging for a shorter life expectancy within a month.

Yesterday my breakfast was wholemeal toast with black currant jam and a multivitamin. At ten o'clock I had an apple and two plain digestive biscuits. Lunch was a cheese and pickle sandwich with some dressed leaves and a few crisps, ( but not a whole packet), tea was a roast chicken dinner with sage and onion stuffing lots of vegetables  and Yorkshire pudding.   I had a glass of red wine during the evening, and had several trips to the kitchen for the rest of the packet of crisps, two apricots and a mug of cocoa made with semi skimmed milk and a teaspoon of honey. Reasonably healthy? Perhaps Dr Verburgh will teach me otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment