Tuesday 3 June 2014

Changing the habits of a lifetime...

One of the greatest challenges going forward with this diet I think will be getting used to replacing the potatoes, rice, pasta and bread which I'm used to eating every day with a slower absorbing carbohydrate. The plate just doesn't seem complete without a splodge of mash or rice. But if I am to prevent blood sugar peaks and troughs and those ravening cupboard monster moments I'm going to have to find a way around this.  A simple way is to always have at least two types of vegetable on my plate and eat more beans. Yesterday I had smoked mackerel with a large salad of raw spinach, grated carrot, fennel, tomatoes, cucumber, celery and seeds, grapes, and dressing made with rape seed oil, lemon and mustard. For tea I had a chickpea and sweet potato spiced curry which I will definitely try again. I modified it slightly with the addition of a little coconut oil, which really brought out the flavour. I has this with toasted buckwheat-really great. There's enough for a couple of meals too. After that I had some strawberries with soya yogurt and white tea.  It was a day of delicious eating!

Try the chick pea recipe here.

Chick pea and sweet potato curry

Breaking news this morning -my GP surgery contacted me  today to say that a test from four weeks ago had revealed sugar in my urine. Nobody had picked this up at the time, but they now want me to go for a blood test. As I am sure you know, sugar in urine can be a sign of type 2 diabetes, which is one of the illnesses I am trying to avoid with this new way of eating. Ironic? If I have diabetes then the food hourglass way of eating will be the best thing to keep it under control. Blood test is booked for later this afternoon, so fingers crossed.



No comments:

Post a Comment