Thursday 10 July 2014

Food hourglass- how do I feel?

It's time for an update. I've been following the food hourglass way of eating since the end of May which is long enough to notice any changes. I haven't weighed myself in all the time I have been doing this food hourglass thing. This is partly because I don't want to weigh myself, find I don't weigh any less, or worse, that I weigh more than before food hourglass; and partly because this wasn't why I started to follow the diet. My motivation was about health and feeling good. Well today I weighed in at 12 st 2lb. So in fact I have lost a little weight. Which I think for me is good. I was eating the wrong things before and I had a sedentary life which added up to extra weight my health could do without.

How do I feel? Well, I have to take out of the equation that I am not feeling too great because of  pain which is under investigation. (It doesn't make me feel ill, but it affects my concentration and my stamina). That said, one of the most obvious differences is that when I breathe it feels like a lung full of mountain air, clear and easy. I have had a minor cold during the few weeks since food hourglass (FH) but it didn't affect my chest at all, none of the congestion I might have expected. It's like yoga breathing -but all the time. I think that is probably due to cutting right back on cows milk and yoghurt.

The second thing is that my energy levels are much steadier than they used to be. I don't get cravings for the wrong kind of food, and I can now recognise this as false hunger, rather than real. If I eat the wrong kind of stuff, which I have done on quite a few occasions, I am quickly reminded of that blood sugar roller coaster and it makes it all the easier to get back on the FH track.

The other big thing is that my taste buds seem to have undergone a complete overhaul. They taste things differently. It's as if they were numb on sugar overkill before - all those heightened flavours which really are chemical yuck. Now I can enjoy the complexity of food that hasn't been artificially stuffed with monosodium glutamate, salt, sugar and other stuff I don't need. The subtlety of flavour has really come out. Savoury things are far more appealing.

I've upped my exercise levels, which really hasn't been too onerous because I was always pretty active, I'd just let things slip. So I am enjoying swimming a couple of times a week, I'm doing a bit of steady circuit training and getting out for a walk.

It's a recipe for life and I intend to give it my best shot. So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment