Tuesday 8 July 2014

Motivation

There are days when I find it easy to eat the way I should. Inexplicably there are others, thankfully few, when I find it much harder, when I make myself choose the right things to eat rather than delight in them. I guess other people have this problem too. It's easy to drift with any eating plan, exercise plan, any plan. The first few days and perhaps weeks are great because we are fired up, obsessed, bought into the whole thing. Then words like 'treat' and 'deserve' start to roll off the tongue and we are lost.

Eating out can be easy, but sometimes, like today it wasn't. There was only fast food about. Plan better I hear you shout. That's right. I should have realised I would need to eat before I reached home. As it is, I succumbed to saturated fat, white bread, nothing green or crisp, just flabby grunge. On the other hand, this morning I ate strawberries, blackberries and chocolate oatmeal porridge with a small handful of walnuts. Now I am home I have eaten chicken and salad and now I am drinking white tea. So perhaps not all disaster.

I think the secret to success is perhaps not so much a secret at all. 

It is as simple as get started, keep at it, fall down, get up, try again.

What helps us to keep trying when we are tempted to throw in the towel? Personally I think it has a lot to do with self worth. I want to eat the food hourglass way not because someone else will praise me, or think I look great, though these are pleasant side effects. I do it because I want to feel healthy. I want to be healthy. If my body is going to carry me through all the ups and downs of life it needs the right fuel. It really is a temple. If I don't believe that, after the initial commitment wears thin, the desire to give in will be almost irresistible. 

As some wise person said:

Ever failed. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment